Tuesday, January 13, 2009

In Line at the DMV

My New Temporary Driver's License
There I was last night watching a lovely rerun of some Discovery Channel show when it hit me that I have to renew my Driver's License. Crap... my birthday is only two days away. The last time I forgot to renew my license I had to take the written and driving test over again. It was a total pain. That was fourteen years ago. The internet was born and everything in life was supposed to be better. The online renewal process died when it found out I needed glasses. So I was out of luck, I had to set foot in the DMV or as they call it in Washington state the DOL. It's funny how similar DOL and SOL are.

The process wasn't too complicated, except I didn't expect 75 people to be there when it opened at 8:30 am! I waited in line with my number "29" digitally printed and time stamped. The lady whose window I was summoned to by the red LED readout above her head was especially nice. She sported two long dark brown braids that made her look about 14. The first question she asked was about my drug use. I thought it was a little too personal of a question coming from a teenager, but I answered "No, I do not use drugs that can impair my ability to drive". The vision test was a piece of cake... "H, R, N, C, S, red, green, red, blue, yes I see the flashing lights." After parting with $25 I headed toward the dreaded photo session.

My photo turned out alright. I hurts to see what little hair I have left shuffling off the back of my head. I thought to myself when I saw the photo that I sure look 40.

No comments:

Post a Comment