Wednesday, April 15, 2009

StumbleUpon as a Marketing Tool

Yesterday after implementing StumbleUpon tools including the Firefox toolbar I decided to do a little test. I picked one of my photo from a trip I had to Cannon Beach in January of this year. The light was great and the Nikon D60 performed admirable for its first time out of the box. I clicked on the "I like it!" button on the StumbleUpon toolbar. The results the next day were remarkable.

flickrStats

One great thing that flickr does is analytics on referring websites. This makes StumbleUpon a unique marketing tool that is measurable and trackable. You can clearly see just how effective StumbleUpon can be below. Similar to YouTube in it concept of channels, a user can tailor their stumbles to their own likes. Similarly your online content that you refer to StumbleUpon will be viewed only be users who have made a conscious decision to see content similar to yours.

flickrStatsB

The process I am developing is to incorporate this involves creating interesting, compelling assets then throw them out to social networks via facebook, twitter and StumbleUpon and ba-da-bing you have a pseudo-viral marketing campaign.

2 comments:

  1. The only bummer I've noticed is that SU spikes tend to drop off almost as quickly as they arrive. Because of the way it encourages aimless wandering, I don't think it can do much to foster site loyalty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right. Today I noticed only 3 hits. If you had something really cool that was event related then it might be useful.

    ReplyDelete